Design for all: one of the key elements of the eSticky project
The eSticky project aims to help older people gain new perspectives by helping them remember their commitments and small daily appointments.
Another important goal of this project is that the system can be used by as many people in the target group as possible. Therefore, the consortium will follow the principle of “Design for All” during all stages of evaluation, design and implementation to meet this criterion.
Design for All: what it means
Design for All is the intervention in products and services that aims to ensure that everyone, including future generations and regardless of age, gender, ability or cultural background, can participate in social, economic, cultural and leisure activities with equal opportunities.
We think this criterion should be implemented in all areas because human beings are different and everyone has the desire, need, and right to be independent and choose their own lifestyle without facing physical and social barriers.
Design for all: criteria applied
Let’s see what the main criteria of Design for All are:
- clear information;
- spatial distribution;
However, Design for All does not always allow all needs to be solved with one solution that fits all. That is why one of these seven strategies should be chosen:
- To Everyone: a single solution that is suitable for all potential users;
- Adjustable: a single product that responds to people’s different dimensional or functional needs through devices or mechanisms;
- Range of products or services: a range of products and services from which people choose the one that best suits their needs;
- Compatibility with commonly used accessories: adaptations or non-marginal alternative solutions can be provided to ensure compatibility with accessories that a person needs to use;
- Complementary product and service: it will not always be possible to meet users’ needs through a product alone, so a complementary service will be needed;
- Use an alternative solution to the most widely used one that offers similar benefits: sometimes the characteristics of some individuals prevent them from using products or services in the usual way. Therefore, a nondiscriminating alternative that offers equivalent results is advisable;
- Customized product or service: as in the case of most services provided by freelancers.
eSticky: your digital post-it note.
The eSticky system will be viable for every person, especially for those who frequently tend not to remember where they put their things, or for those who need to remember some special activity. Think, for example, of taking medication at a specific time of the day.
The eSticky project will improve the independence, mental state, and social inclusion of different groups of end users. It can also relieve caregivers of those with memory disorders. Users will be more independent by using eSticky reminders in their environment.
We help people gain new perspectives.